During Lent, we don’t eat meat on Fridays. When I was grocery shopping on Sunday, I picked up some tilapia knowing that I wanted to use it for dinner on Friday. I’m not a huge fan of fish but I’m trying! So I set out to find a good recipe to make with the tilapia. I came across several recipes for fish tacos and decided to combine several of them to suit my tastes.
I started with 4 tilapia filets. In a large baggie, I put in oil, crushed garlic, grated ginger, and lime juice.
I let the fish hang out in the baggie for 15-20 minutes to soak up all those yummy flavors.
While the fish was marinating, I started working on my slaw. I like to get all my ingredients out first so everything is ready.
I just mixed the broccoli slaw, green onion, lime juice, cilantro, and Greek yogurt together along with the Mrs. Dash Fiesta-Lime Seasoning. I then let it sit while I started working on the fish. That way the flavors had time to come together.
Next, I gathered all the ingredients I needed to make a simple light breading.
I also heated some olive oil in a large skillet.
I whisked the flour and spices together in a bowl, then dredged the fish in the mixture.
I carefully laid the fish in the heated oil in the pan.
I have a large skillet that held all 4 pieces. If you don’t have a large enough skillet, though, you could do this in batches.
After the fish has cooked for a few minutes, carefully flip the fish over and cook for a few more minutes on the other side.
I used two corn tortillas and heated them in the microwave on a plate covered with a wet paper towel for about 10 seconds to soften them.
Then I took one tilapia fillet and cut it into pieces.
I put half the cut up tilapia on each tortilla and topped it with some of the broccoli slaw.
Voila! You have delicious and healthy fish tacos. Enjoy!
- 4 tilapia fillets (or any other white fish)
- ¼ c. olive oil (and additional oil for pan frying)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- Juice of half a lime
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1-2 sliced green onions
- 1 tbls. Chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp. Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime Salt-Free Seasoning Blend
- 1 Tbls. Lime juice
- 2 Tbls. Plain Greek yogurt
- Optional garnishes: avocado and/or fresh lime juice
- Add olive oil, garlic, ginger, and lime juice to a large baggie. Place the fish in the liquid and marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the ingredients for the slow and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour with the spices.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Dredge the fish in the flour and shake it off so that only a light coating remains. Pan fry the fish for a few minutes on both sides until golden brown and cooked through.
- Gently flake or cut up the fish. Add the fish to a corn tortilla and top with the broccoli slaw. Garnish with avocado and/or fresh lime juice.